Wednesday, May 7, 2008

[A] mother is one to whom you hurry when you are troubled. ~Emily Dickinson


I want to take this opportunity to express my love and gratitude to my mom. I don't see her as often as I would like to and I miss her so very much. She has been and is an amazing mother and role model for me and my siblings. Today I would like to share just a few of the things that she has done for me and my family.

  • As I have previously shared, she highly values education. When I was about 7 years old she started writing Science Books and that same summer she underwent a serious surgery. My oldest sister took the 2 youngest girls to the hospital to see her right after her surgery and as we opened the door we saw my mom laying in bed surrounded by books and papers; we knew she was in pain but we also knew her determination/desire to achieve this dream that she had for so long. She is the author of 5 Science Books and we are all very proud of her.
  • When I joined the church I wanted to serve a mission and with her support I was able to serve a full time mission. It wasn't easy for her nor for any member of my family but I'll forever be grateful for allowing/supporting me to serve the Lord. On the top of that she came for my farewell and took me to the MTC. Later, after my mission she came to drive with me from Oklahoma all the way to Provo, UT so I wouldn't drive by myself.
  • When Tim and I were getting married my family was not planning on attending the wedding since they were not going to be able to go to the temple which I completely understand. As most girls will understand, I still wanted my mom there with me and sure enough, 3 days before the wedding she called to tell us she was leaving the next day to come for the wedding. I know how hard it is for her to arrange someone to take care of the things that she usually takes care of but she did it. The day before the wedding my mom and my niece arrived in Salt lake City for the Wedding!!!
  • Both times that my kids were born she was there by my side. Again, she found someone to take care of her work and came her to help me. When Lucas was born she even took Ashley with her for a month so that Tim and I could focus on the move and the new baby.
  • My mom is the kind of person that if you call and tell her that Ashley or Lucas is sick she wishes she lived close by to come and take care of them and she means it. And then she will add "you also need to rest so I wish I could help you." Isn't she nice?
  • Having my mom around feels great! She always finds ways to serve us. She does laundry, cooks for us, cleans the house for us, changes diapers, plays with the kids, but most importantly we get to enjoy her presence.
HAPPY MOTHERS' DAY, MOM!!!

Love,
Maqui

1 comment:

Christian (Chrissy) Anderson said...

This made me all mushy inside! En serio! I should have done something like that for my mom (but not on the computer, she'd never figure out where it was or how to get to it). Anyway, it was really sweet. Your mom is a great person. Jared and I just love her!