Friday, March 7, 2008

The Race is on!

Many of you don't know about the changes that have been taking place in my life since we moved here and especially since January. Last year I started to work out and a few months later a friend asked me to join her in a triathlon but..surprise!! I got pregnant but I kept working out till 2 weeks before Lucas was born. I had great friends to work out with that I greatly miss and I just felt great so I was able to push myself. Yes, you could call me crazy because I was doing Boot Camp Classes but I loved them and I felt awesome.
Great company+ Good work out= Feeling Awesome.
So when we moved here I needed something to keep me motivated since my friends are no longer here to call me and check on me to make sure I am coming to the gym. So here is one of the big changes... I have been more than just working out but swimming (which if you know something about me you know I am a swimmer), biking (which I didn't like and now I really enjoy) and running (which I still hate). Sounds like a TRIATHLON!! Yes... I am doing either one or two. Sorry, Ben I haven't decided yet. More than the triathlon, I'll be doing duathlons (biking and running). My first competition is next month. It is called the Oklahoma City Redbud Classic and I'll be doing the 33 mile bike race. Later I'll choose other ones since there are tons to choose from and I honestly would rather do biking and not running. I also joined the local triathlon club to get some motivation to keep me going. The triathlons are in May and June ( the ones I am considering) and I'll be doing them with Ben , my friend Alicia's husband and her brother and some other friends from my ward that I invited to join me. I am not too sure about the one in May since it's in open water but Ben has challenged me and I can't say no but who knows? Training has been a little bit challenging with kids being sick and with my own health issues but I am enjoying it as much as possible. Last Saturday we got a road bike and I love it. I haven't been able to ride it outside because of the weather but I have used it with the trainer and it's great! Here is a picture of my new baby; at least I treat it as one of them.



I also need to recognize my parents and Tim for making it possible for me to do this. They have been so helpful in helping me get EVERYTHING that I need to do this. My parents have been so generous with me and my family and we truly appreciate that. Tim has helped me with the kids which is an enormous help! Thank you so much!!! I couldn't have done it without you.

5 comments:

Christy said...

my brother and two sisters are both into triathlons...they look so much fun, but i have to say that my desire lacks in that area :) but I am a GREAT fan and love to watch. I cry every time that i watch them come across the line...it is amazing. Anyway, good luck!!

~Jen~ said...

AWESOME!!!

I was totally planning on doing them this year, but well....my story mirrors yours from last year. I even asked the doc if I could still compete in September but seeing as its 8 weeks post c-section he said it wouldn't be a great idea.

I am still working out and totally worried about my motivation when we move! There are so many great work out partners in our ward - if we're close to you we'll have to team up.

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

Hey, I saw your blog off of Christy's...hope you don't mind me leaving a comment. Your family is so cute, it is good to see what you are up to. Good luck with the triathlon!!
Nika (sister ecker)
nikaandtravis.blogspot.com

Nika, Travis, Ayda and Zander said...

Hey again, thanks for leaving a comment on my blog! I miss the good times in the good ol' apartment in mira mesa...water fight anyone? I had surgery because I found out I had a tubal pregnancy so I had to have my fallopian tube removed. I am starting to feel better. Feel free to email me, nikac616@gmail.com
~Nika

Eve said...

You go girl!! I have a friend who does triathlons & other races, and I am in awe of the dedication it takes!! I got a bike recently, but haven't ridden it too much yet! Good luck - that's awesome!!